A new year can often symbolize new opportunities. Despite the headwinds of 2020, it also presented marketers opportunities to drive engagement through the mail as they adapted to their new audience environments.
Direct mailers, consider the first USPS® promotion of 2021 as an opportunity to engage customers while potentially earning mail discounts. The USPS 2021 Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Mailpiece Engagement promotion (TSI Promotion) is offering mailers who include specialty inks, papers or interactive elements in their mailpiece a 2% mail discount.
Promotion Registration: December 15, 2020–July 31, 2021
Promotion Dates: February 1, 2021–July 31, 2021
Discount: 2% of eligible postage for USPS Marketing Mail® letters and flats and Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail® letters and flats.
The TSI Promotion features specialty ink, specialty paper, and interactive element categories.
- Specialty Inks—include conductive inks that contain metals like copper, photochromic inks that change color with UV light, or hydrochromic inks that change appearance when exposed to water or liquids.
- Specialty Papers—include paper treated with scents, sounds or edible components, and paper with visual effects, such as holographic papers, or textural effects, such as a groove embossed envelope. Note: Linen embossed paper stock no longer qualifies as an approved specialty paper.
- Interactive Elements—these include 3D, pop-ups and folding techniques that contain elements your recipient can physically manipulate.
New for 2021
The USPS has created a Promotions General Participation Guide to assist participants with registration, mailpiece submission, mailpiece acceptance and post-mailing requirements. There are also several new authorization requirements for 2021, including one where the mailer needs to submit a mockup of the intended mailpiece (not a PDF) by mail to the TSI Promotion Office for review and approval at their new address:
Attn: TSI Promotion
PO Box 150996
Alexandria, VA 22315-0996
Be sure to check all program requirements* here.
Related Tension Products
This promotion lends marketers a chance to infuse creativity (potentially through scents!) in their mailpiece. Here are some Tension products that can qualify for the discounts offered through the TSI Promotion:
- Trailing Edge envelopes: Grab your recipients’ attention with this USPS-approved mailpiece.
- Embossed envelopes: Impress your audience with the variety of textures and patterns offered with embossing.
- Spot embossed envelopes with foil: Give your mailpiece a visual and textural advantage.
- Envelopes with special coatings: Intrigue and engage your recipients with a bold grit or sandpaper stock. Or, lend your campaign a fresh approach with a peppermint scented envelope.
2021 USPS Promotions and Incentives Updates from Tension
Tension is offering easy-to-read overviews of the USPS promotions, available to you. Sign up for our updates here. You can also find details on the USPS 2021 Promotions and Incentives on our website.
Two-Page Overview of the 2021 USPS Promotions
Do you need a quick overview of the promotions and important dates for each? Click here to download.
Be sure to check full program requirements* here. The USPS gives all final approvals and including one of the design elements mentioned above does not automatically qualify you for the promotions. You can also consult with the USPS for full details on the Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Mailpiece Engagement promotion at email@example.com.
A Tension Sales expert can help you explore how to incorporate the USPS 2021 Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Mailpiece Engagement Promotion in your next mailing. Contact us to start the conversation today.
*All approvals must come from the USPS®. The information presented here is for illustrative purposes only.